As 2018 is waving goodbye and 2019 is starting to come closer, all kinds of lists start to appear in the press predicting what will do, watch or eat during the upcoming year. Here is the list of the top food trends for 2019 and they all look delicious:
- Cooking with cannabis: It may sounds like a method to hide drugs in a movie, but the culinary use of cannabis is a very interesting food trend worldwide. As the usage laws become less strict in many countries, many food manufactures start infuse their products such as coffee, beers or snacks with CBD whereas in countries where THC is recreationally legal, cannabis gets into commercially produced drinks and eatables.
- New Probiotics: Healthy diet is always ‘’in- fashion’’ and the most recent trend is “shelf-stable” foods containing the gut-friendly bacteria’’, like granola, oatmeal, nut butters, bars, soups etc. According to Benchmark hospitality, more restaurants and hotels will start using probiotics in their cuisines next year, as the demand is already starting to increase. In addition, we will see them in surprising places like refreshments or sauces.
- Motherless meat and sustainable equivalents: Science is finally able to provide us with real meat creating in laboratories as a solution to killing living animals. KFC, for example, plans to use ground chicken product (made from chicken cells grown in a plant-based medium) in its famous products. Another aspect of this trend are ‘’root to stern foods’’, foods that we can use every part of them eg. transforming leftovers into packaging.
- Robots have already started to substitute people in making pizza or serving coffee and it is probable that the use of AI will continue to increase in the next years.
- New greens and vegetables: In 2018 we had nori. 2019 introduces other kinds of marine plantation to our plates like water-lily or algae. It is also likely to be served some kind of flower like dandelion or amaranth.
- Cosmetic ingredients conquer kitchen: Grandmothers always advise us not to put on our face something we wouldn’t eat. Well, the trend works vice-versa as well. Now, we can also taste coconut butter, argan oil, collagen and almond oil in an interesting transformation to food ingredients.
- Food designed for insta-stories: Imagine a dish that moves, makes sounds or changes colors! We will all want to share it with our on-line friends, won’t we?
Overall, 2019 trends includes everything. From labotary produced food to a return to nature and traditions, from robot- waiters and chefs to colorful dishes with surprising ingredients. But let’s not forget that food always tastes better sharing with those we love!